Thursday 11 March 2010

The Beginning of My Interest



I had always been fascinated by photography. It is an interestt I had picked up when I was schooling in Tanjong Lobang School, Miri, Sarawak in the 60s. I was a member of the School's Photography Club. I didn't own a camera but I knew how to develop films and pictures in the Dark Room.

When I was undergoing my two years of military cadet training in the Royal Military College, Sungai Besi, Kuala Lumpur from 1967 to 1969, I bought my first expensive camera for RM300, payable in 12 instalments. Through out the years when I was serving in the Malaysian Rangers, I seemed to have bought one camera after another as they didn't last long due to rust or damage or even lost. Somehow, too, the quality of the pictures were much to be desired. But then, the cost of a good camera was way beyond my means. Seeing people lugging huge cameras with huge lenses were something that I could only dream of.

However, dreams do become a reality sometimes. For me the purchase of a Nikon D90 two weeks ago is a dream come true. My biggest regret, however, was, it should have been bought when I was scouring the Malaysian jungles for Communist Terrorists from 1969 to 1987. Words cannot describe the many scenes that were hidden away from man's eyes. They were fantastic and they were lost forever. That was my biggest regret.




Nikon D 90 with the standard 18 - 105mm les






The 70 - 300mm lens I bought on 5 May 2011



Some samples I took with my D90.










No comments:

Post a Comment